]]>

Welcome to NED.net User Group

Monday, March 14, 2005

Country Leader Speaks at NED.net

I would like to take this moment to thank the attendants of our user group event which ws held on March 12, 2005 on Open Source Implementations of .NET where we discussed the various open source implementations of the CLI(Common Language Infrastructure), namely,
OCL from Intel, Mono from Ximian, DotGNU from the GNU project and SSCLI from Microsoft.

We also took a look at the components of the Mono project, namely, the mono runtime and JIT compiler, the mono documentation, and the XSP ASP.NET clone web server. In this event, I
showed the audience the RPMs for the project, and the source tarballs and gave a brief demo of how to install an rpm. I also displayed how to build and install mono-1.0.2 from source. Due to the complex nature of the system, I couldnt build the entire system from either RPM or source, which is fact of life when you are working on Linux, so some people were not very clear about it.

I also mentioned the Monoppix product, which is a free tool that has an ISO image which you can burn on a CD-R and boot your machine off it. It would boot into a gnome X-Window session with mono and XSP running. Due to the varied Linux skill level of the audience, I believe that the session was not universally equally useful. I once again thank you for your presence during the session and your feedback (both positive and negative). I am going to make sure that I
incorporate your useful suggestions in my future sessions and if you would like to make any other suggestions or criticism on email, please feel free to do so on our mailing list or directly to me here.

Unfortunately, I have had a nagging cough for the last week or so, so I was unable to quite effectively deliver the content as effectively as I usually do. I hope to get over that in the next session. I would also like to inform you at this time that I am planning a full-blown workshop on Linux basics in April. The workshop will be for beginners. It will not be free, it will have a very small token fee. The participants will be provided with a certificate of attendance. Those who are not so comfortable with Linux should watch out for that. The registration for that workshop will be on first come first served basis.

By,
Muhammad Saqib Ilyas.
INETA Pakistan Country Leader.

|| Zeeshan Muhammad, 2:00 PM

Post a Comment